I built an orphanage for my perfect genetics challenge where I would dump all the children born without perfect genetics and soon enough, I was getting loads of questions asking me how I had an orphanage in my game. I had no idea the rest of you were as sadistic as I am, haha! 😛 Anyway, it’s actually really easy to put an orphanage in your game for unwanted children, no mods or custom content needed at all! Here’s a quick tutorial on how to do it.
What You Will Need
- At least the base game of The Sims 4. Add-ons and custom content can help make your orphanage look nicer but aren’t necessary.
- Some building skills or alternatively, access to the Gallery.
How To Build a Functioning Orphanage in The Sims 4
- First, you need an orphanage for your unwanted Sim children to live in. Pick any lot in any world you want and build an orphanage or if you don’t want to bother with building, download one from the Gallery. Alternatively, I’ll be sharing an orphanage built with only base game items here shortly. Your orphanage can be as simple or as fancy as you want but it should have 8 beds and at least the basic necessities Sims need to live (toilet, shower, fridge, etc). Since it’s a home for orphaned children, you may want to add toys for them to play with.
- Now that you have your orphanage ready, it needs at least one adult Sim living in it. Someone has to take care of all those children and keep them safe, after all! You can make a Sim yourself in CAS, download one from the Gallery, or just grab a random townie and stick ’em in the orphanage, whatever floats your boat. The orphanage will likely be too expensive for your adult caretaker Sim to afford with just $20k so bring up the cheat menu in the world screen with CTRL+SHIFT+C and type “freerealestate on” before you have your Sim purchase and move into the orphanage.
- Your orphanage is now ready to house your unwanted Sim children! The next time one of your Sims has a child you don’t want, you can move the child over to the orphanage via Manage Worlds. Since a lot of people are still unfamiliar with this process, I’ve got screenshots to help.
In your household with your unwanted child, go to Manage Worlds.
You’ll be taken to the world select screen. In the top right corner, select Household Management.
You’ll be shown all your played households here by default but you can see all your unplayed households too by clicking the Unplayed tab at the top. Both your active household and your orphanage household should be here but if your orphanage household isn’t, just look under Unplayed. Select your active household with the child you want to send to the orphanage.
You’ll be taken to this screen where you can see all your household’s details. Select Transfer Sims Between Households.
Now find your orphanage household in the Select A Household section on the right and select that household.
Now select your child Sim that you want to move to the orphanage and select Transfer Sim(s).
Voila! Your child Sim is now living in your orphanage and being cared for by your adult caretaker Sim.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You can also move babies to the orphanage in the same way you move children.
- You can send up to 7 children/babies to the orphanage before the household is full. After that, you’ll have to place another orphanage with a new caretaker in the world for more unwanted babies and children to live. You can also download Twisted Mexican’s Full House mod at Mod The Sims to allow more children to live at the orphanage but keep in mind; mods that increase household size are very unpredictable and can cause game instability.
- The children won’t move out of the orphanage on their own when they become young adults unless you have Deaderpool’s Story Progression (MC Command Center) mod installed. You still don’t NEED this mod to have a functioning orphanage. You can easily move out young adult Sims yourself with the Manage Households menu.
- It’s a good idea to check up on the orphanage every once in a while so you can either move out young adult Sims or replace the caretaker with a younger one when the caretaker reaches elderhood. If your caretaker dies of old age while there are still children in the house, the game will delete the children and they will disappear from your family tree with no tombstone or urn as if they never existed. This is easily prevented by just replacing the caretaker when you notice they’ve gone grey. Alternatively, there’s a mod that stops this from happening. You can download DrChillgood’s Orphan Children Aren’t Deleted mod over at Mod The Sims.
- As long as your orphanage has 8 beds and the basic necessities Sims need to live, you can even play your orphanage household if you want. The next time you’re missing those kids you sent away, just hop on over to their household and give them some attention.
(See next page for downloads!)